Post Reference: 2372
Academy: Leeds City Academy
Job Title: Senior Science Technician
Grade C1 - Actual Salary £23,309 to £25,381
Hours: 37 hours per week, term time only plus 10 days
Accountable to: Subject Leader of Science
This is an extremely exciting time to be joining Leeds City Academy, one of the most rapidly improving schools within the Leeds area and county of West Yorkshire. We are an 11-16 academy and one of four schools within White Rose Academies Trust, a trust recognised nationally for its ground-breaking and transformational impact on the lives of the young people it serves. The academy had a Section 5 Inspection in May 2019 achieving an overall Good judgement with Leadership and Management judged as Outstanding.
Our highly motivated and talented students are at the very centre of everything we do and the shared mission of all our stakeholders is to work ‘In Partnership’ in securing the aspirations and ambitions of every one of our young people. Our academy is a unique and truly inspirational place to work, enhanced by our wonderful students who come from a diverse range of cultures, heritage and experiences; a significant proportion of students speak English as an additional language.
Our CPD training programme is highly respected by staff at the academy and is further enhanced by the various opportunities for professional development in all sectors.
Please apply if you wish to work for a Multi Academy Trust which values and supports the next move in your career. Come and join us on our journey to becoming World Class.
· To take a lead role in providing a safe working environment across the Science Curriculum in line with the ethos and expectations of the academy.
· To work closely within the Subject Leader taking a direct responsibility to coordinate the preparation and requirements of planned lessons and teaching staff.
· To take a lead role in the technician provision to provide a high-quality technical support to staff and students within the Science department; leading the technician team, maintaining high quality teaching environments, setting up practical sessions, completing subject specific duties, general maintenance of equipment, general administrative tasks and managing stock levels to enable teaching staff to focus on academic duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· To manage the organisation and delivery of technical support in science lessons
· To be able to demonstrate experiments/investigations to the students to assist with the teaching and learning process.
· To assist in practical classes and carry out demonstrations working with students where appropriate.
· To take a lead role in coordinating the use and development of practical resource and facilities to meet the requirements of the curriculum.
· To maintain a full working knowledge of relevant policies/codes of practice and legislation, a working knowledge of national curriculum in specialist area, and an understanding of statutory frameworks.
· To ensure the technician team keep up to date with Health and Safety requirements and developments in practical science by ensuring that relevant literature is available and arranging for technicians to attend courses.
· To ensure maintenance of a healthy and safe working environment.
· To be responsible for safe storage and/or disposal of storage equipment, materials, chemicals and hazardous and non-hazardous waste materials in line with recognised procedures and contribute to the production of appropriate risk assessment.
· To liaise with appropriate bodies ensuring that routine safety checks on laboratory equipment, fume cupboards, pressure vessels and first aid kits are carried out and that electrical and other safety checks are undertaken.
· To advise departmental cleaning staff and others of potential hazards and of safe working practices within the Science Faculty.
· To give health and safety advice to technical staff, teachers, and students.
· To provide technical support for teaching staff and students.
· To provide equipment and materials to support practical lessons and ensure its safe removal on completion.
· To complete both routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment are carried to the required standard.
· To help to compile orders as well as any last-minute requirements for practical lessons.
· To ensure suitable materials are available and on hand, maintain stock levels including doing regular stock takes.
· To maintain up to date records for all equipment and stock.
· To liaise and negotiate with suppliers, including costing, sourcing and suggesting economic alternatives.
· Preparation and display of all health and safety requirements for all equipment.
· To use ICT effectively to perform duties in an efficient manner and to support the use of ICT equipment.
· General Administration and reprographics for the Science department including maintaining paper levels in school wide photocopying machines.
· To uphold the professional standards of dress, behaviour, attitudes, and team spirit which will ensure that Leeds City Academy is a pleasant positive place to learn and work.
Part of White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds City Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students achieve ‘World Class’ status.
We're securing our 2025 vision for World Class by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation of West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
White Rose Academies Trust is a local trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The trust employs over 500 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation. Our CPD Programme is focused on innovation, leadership development and delivery of excellence for vulnerable groups. Our Beginner Teacher Programme is amongst the best in the region. We are on a significant journey which will see all of our schools Ofsted rated as World Class within five years.
Closing Date: Friday 15th December 2023, 9am
Shortlisting: Friday 15th December 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 18th December 2023
Start Date: As soon as possible, upon successful competition of
*Please note, shortlisted candidates may be called for interview prior to the closing date. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
For more information, please visit our website at www.whiteroseacademies.org.
To apply, please complete the application form and return to email@example.com by the closing date. Please note we are unable to accept CV’s.
White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and an enhanced DBS check.
Please note this role will involve contact with children and you will be engaging in regulated activity. It is an offence to apply for the role if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
We promote diversity and want a workforce which reflects the population of Leeds. Applications are welcome from all, irrespective of sex, sexuality, race, religion, marital status, age or disability.
PLEASE NOTE THE REQUIREMENT TO ATTACH YOUR APPLICATION FORM AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT TO YOUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FORM WHEN EMAILING YOUR APPLICATION TO US.